Can anyone use this service?
Everyone who lives, works or goes to school in Oregon may use Answerland.
If you are outside of Oregon, you may submit Oregon-related questions, including local history and genealogy using our email form.
What kinds of questions can I ask?
We will try to answer any genuine question you think of. Here are some examples:
- “Can I get movie scripts through my library system?”
- “How big is a Clydesdale horse?”
- “What drove the colonies to separate themselves from the British Empire?”
- “I am looking for information for people’s attitude towards organic food, and their willingness to pay a premium for it. Where do I start?”
- “I got a new library card, and I found my old one. So I don’t need my new one. Can I get my new one canceled?”
If you are a student and you have a homework question, we will try to help you find resources that help, but will not be able to answer your question for you.
Remember, you are chatting with a live librarian who may be busy chatting with other people too. Please be courteous and patient with the librarians.
How long do I have to wait for an answer?
If you have waited for online chat for more than two minutes, we may be very busy or there may be a technical problem. We limit our chat service during busy times.
We attempt to respond to email questions within two working days, and to text messages within one working day.
Check our availability for more information.
What kinds of answers will I get?
Librarians will discuss your question with you to make sure they understand it, and then draw on print, licensed online resources and free online resources to find your answer.
Librarians are guided by the Library Bill of Rights.